Happy Valentine’s Day!
As you may have guessed, I love words. The idea of studying ACT/SAT vocab sounds pretty tedious, which is one reason I like curating these words into themed lists. Since I started this practice, I am now more aware of the new words I come across as I read. The best way to bolster your vocabulary is by reading challenging material. However, targeted practice can also be helpful -- flashcards are an extremely useful tool for this. In this post, I have selected some lovely words related to love and friendship. Read to the end to learn my favorite word related to my Groundhog Day.
- Ardent: enthusiastic or passionate.
- Cherish: protect and care for (someone) lovingly.
- Devoted: very loving or loyal.
- Enamor: be filled with a feeling of love for
- Enchant: fill (someone) with great delight; charm.
- Fidelity: faithfulness to a person, cause, or belief, demonstrated by continuing loyalty and support.
- Infatuation: an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something.
- Platonic love: non-romantic love.
- Quixotic: extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; impulsive and often rashly unpredictable. (Named after Cervantes's Don Quixote.)
- Soft spot: strong feeling of tenderness.
- Tenderness: gentleness and kindness.
- Unrequited love: one-sided love is love that is not openly reciprocated or understood as such by the beloved.
- Affinity: a spontaneous or natural liking or sympathy for someone or something.
- Empathy: the psychological identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
- Rapport: a close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings or ideas and communicate well.
- Simpatico: having or characterized by shared attributes or interests; compatible.
🦔 Groundhog Day
- Prognostication: the action of foretelling or prophesying future events. On February 2, exactly halfway between the winter solstice and the spring equinox, a groundhog in Pennsylvania predicts the beginning of spring. This groundhog’s official name is "Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather-Prophet Extraordinary."