Lunar New Year Vocab
Happy Lunar New Year!
Lunar New Year, also called Chinese New Year or the Spring Festival, is a holiday celebrating the new year on the traditional Chinese or lunisolar calendar. San Francisco (just north of where I live) has one of the oldest and largest Chinese New Year festivals outside Asia. Here are a few words related to Lunar New Year -- one is even new to me!
- Auspicious: conducive to success; favorable.
- Deities: gods or goddesses (in a polytheistic religion).
- Lunisolar: concerning the combined motions or effects of the sun and moon. The lunisolar calendar is a calendar in many cultures whose date indicates both the Moon phase and the time of the solar year
- Propitious: giving or indicating a good chance of success; favorable.
- Rosy: promising or suggesting good fortune or happiness; hopeful.
- Red packets: red envelopes, which contain monetary gifts. These are ubiquitous during Lunar New Year celebrations.