Key ingredients in an admissions essay
Every college applicant’s story is unique. Following a specific recipe in your essays can make them come across as inauthentic and trite. However, there are common ingredients in strong essays:
- Gratitude: Acknowledge the teachers, mentors, and/or family members that have helped you along the way.
- Authenticity: Write in your own voice using vocabulary that you actually use.
- Resilience: Frame your struggles and setbacks as opportunities for growth.
- Hope: Show your hopes for the future.
- Sensory details: Use concrete, descriptive details to enliven your essay.
- Structure: Organize your essay as a logical progression of ideas.
- Flow: Read your essay aloud to get a sense of how the words flow together.